SHELDON HIGH SCHOOL
IRISH NATION NEWSLETTER
January 22, 2021
The Sheldon High School “Irish Nation Newsletter” is sent home every other week and is one of the best ways to share our upcoming events and school information with our Sheldon families and students. Please make sure you bookmark the Sheldon website and the 4J Eugene School District. Please consider following us on Facebook and Instagram @SheldonHighSchool4J
As a reminder, Sheldon High School is not open to the public. Staff is in the building between the hours of 7:30 am – 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday, and staff are checking both email and phone lines to respond to questions. You can reach our main office at 541-790-6600. You can find the new Distribution page on the Sheldon website, right next to the Event Calendar!
Please use the FAQ page on the Sheldon website for answers to commonly asked questions found here Sheldon FAQ.
AP EXAM PAYMENT
If you are registered for AP Exams, but have yet to pay, Monday, January 25th is the last day to pay. Please make payment via the school pay link you were sent by 4:00 PM on January 25th. If you need assistance with paying, please call the finance office on Monday at 541-790-6611.
No late payments will be taken.
Students who submit completed drop forms on Wednesday, January 20th or later will earn a WD (Withdraw) on the transcript. Students should get permission from parent/guardian and reach out to teacher before submitting a form. School counselors will then follow up. Please call the office to make arrangements to return textbooks and/or class materials at 541-790-6600. The student is responsible for attending classes until the result of the Class Drop is known, and the student sees the class removed from the schedule in StudentVue. Class Drop forms are available on the SHS website under the Career & Counseling Center tab
School Choice Application Period:
- 4J resident transfer application for lottery: January 1–31, 2021
- Non-resident transfer application for lottery: March 1–31, 2021
- Post-lottery application opening: May 1, 2021
School Choice Information Meetings:
Sheldon will hold online information about school choice on these dates:
- Monday, January 11, 10:00 am https://zoom.us/j/94761752524?pwd=eU4yWm9EZTdINnhQbHlnd1NtSGN1Zz09
- Monday, January 11, 6:30 pm https://zoom.us/j/94761752524?pwd=eU4yWm9EZTdINnhQbHlnd1NtSGN1Zz09
- Tuesday, January 12, 7:00 pm (HONORS INFORMATION) https://zoom.us/j/95375816902?pwd=dmZ3M010TDRyZVNPYW00Y3ZFWm9xdz09
- Thursday, January 14, 7:00 pm (IHS INFORMATION) http://ihs.4j.lane.edu/2020/11/25/info-forincoming-students-class-of-2021-2022/
The district will hold online information sessions about school choice. Spanish interpretation will be available.
- Tuesday, January 12, 5:30 p.m https://zoom.us/j/92827572771?pwd=WXpnc2xmdW1rT1V2TWNwMHFkUVI1UT09
Eugene International High School (Eugene IHS) is a choice school for students in grades nine through twelve offering a four-year interdisciplinary humanities curriculum focused on international studies. Students spend two class periods each school day in their IHS classes and the other three class periods in host school classes. ANY student can enroll. All interested students must fill out an online 4J School Choice application, regardless of attendance area: www.4j.lane.edu/choice . The in-district deadline is January 31st.
- Immersion students will be enrolled in Eugene IHS without the lottery process because they entered immersion through the lottery in elementary or middle school. However, immersion students do need to submit the Eugene IHS Enrollment Form to the Eugene IHS office at South or Sheldon by the January 31st deadline. This form will be included in a special mailing to immersion families.
OSAC (Oregon Student Assistance Commission) – 600+ Scholarships with ONE Application found here https://app.oregonstudentaid.gov
Priority deadline for Early Bird: February 16th
- If error-free, enter a drawing for a $1000 scholarship; many available, by 5:00 PM (PST)
Final Deadline: March 1st
- FINAL deadline – OSAC Scholarship Applications & all required documents must be submitted to OSAC by 5:00 PM (PST)
How to “deliver” your transcript from Sheldon: CHECK the box that says you’re requesting your transcript from your high school. No need to download request form! We will upload the transcripts on your behalf.
Oregon Promise – TWO (almost) free years of community college
Deadline: June 1st, 2021
- 2.5 GPA minimum
- Complete FAFSA (www.fafsa.gov) and choose a community college within
- Complete APPLICATION prior to June 1st https://app.oregonstudentaid.gov/
- APPLY at a community college in Oregon (choose from 17 different institutions that have transfer degrees and many technical, beauty and certification programs)
- Start community college in the 2021 Fall Term (do look at Oregon Promise calculator if you graduate early)
Eugene Education Association – Please help us attract the best to join us as teachers! This year the Eugene Education Association will offer three $1000 scholarships to high school seniors who are interested in teaching as a career. In an effort to recruit a more diverse teaching force, EEA is continuing to offer a scholarship for students of color who want to become educators. This scholarship is also for $1000. BIPOC (Black, Indigenous & People of Color) students can apply for the Future Teacher scholarship and the Future BIPOC Teacher Scholarship on the same application, though no student will be awarded more than one scholarship.
The EEA Scholarship Committee will make the awards based upon these criteria:
- Interest in teaching as a career
- Evidence of academic achievement
- Involvement in school and community
- References from two (2) teachers, and
- A brief essay
Joe McCall Memorial Scholarship – Application attached here. Please look at requirements.
SHELDON FOOD PANTRY NEEDS
Food Items Needed
- Spaghetti Noodles/ Pasta Noodles
- Pasta Sauces
- Boxes of Cereal- Any type
- Boxes of Instant Oatmeal
- Peanut Butter
- Cans of Soup
- Refried Beans
- Tortilla Shells
- Canned Tuna/Chicken
- Fruit Cups/Applesauce Cups
Toiletry Items Needed
- Body Wash Regular size and trial size
- Hair Brushes/Combs
- Socks- All styles and types
- Sweatpants- All Sizes
WINTER WEATHER- http://www.4j.lane.edu/weather/
Winter weather is on its way! Here is some key information families need to know.
When hazardous weather is a concern, decisions regarding schedule changes are made in the early morning, before school, when current weather conditions can be assessed. Decisions are made district wide and are the same for every 4J school.
Our main concern is the safety of our students and staff. We also believe students and families are best served when schools are open. We will always do our best to make the best decision possible, taking into account all of the factors.
- FREE School Meals Now Include Dinner too! Full details at: https://www.4j.lane.edu/nutrition/
- No income requirements or application. Serving Times: Mon–Fri, 10:45a.m. – 2:00p.m.
- Go to ANY of the 10 locations. Students do not need to be present.
- Apply to get meals delivered at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/4Jmealdelivery
4J WRAPAROUND INFORMATION
English – Wraparound
Spanish – Wraparound
Miner’s Grad Products– If you have not placed your graduation order yet, there is still time. Miners Graduate Services has extended the deadline to Thursday, January 28, 2021, so the pricing will be the same as earlier this school year. Failure to order by this deadline will result in late fees, product restrictions and possible delivery delays.
Student’s that ordered a sweatshirt, tassel, lanyard, key chain, etc., should call Miner’s Grad and make an appointment to pick your products up today! We are not able to distribute from the school, at this time. Miners Grad
Senior Portrait Update – Due Date Extended to Jan. 29th!
Our editor-in-chief has provided a list of seniors that have not submitted a portrait for the yearbook. In the hope of dwindling that list down, we are reaching out to you again, extending the deadline to January 29th. Please submit your photo as soon as possible. Senior portrait information.
Please be certain to click on ‘portrait’ within the HJ eShare app so that the file goes into our portrait section of the library. Please check the dpi before submitting, as a dpi of 300 is standard; a dpi lower than that might look fine on your phone or computer screen, but it could look pixelated when in print. If you do not know how to adjust the dpi of your image, you might find this site helpful: https://convert.town/image-dpi
Please upload the portrait via HJ eShare: https://www.hjeshare.com/eShare/
Sheldon’s school code: Sheldon (case sensitive)
If you have any content ideas or know of a great story you’d like to see in the yearbook this year, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We’d love to include you in the yearbook. Please upload any winter break/holiday pictures.
Purchasing the yearbook – Sheldon families can purchase books now through the school website for $65.00. The link to purchase our school’s yearbook https://www.schoolpay.com/link/2021-yearbook
Eshare app – Please make sure to download the HJ eShare APP; our school code: Sheldon. Be sure to send the yearbook team photos of school activities, and follow the yearbook Instagram sheldonyearbook2021. The Yearbook website is Yearbook
2020-21 School Year Photos – The Yearbook staff wants to include every student in the yearbook, but without traditional student images, we need your help! Please see the flyer attached for step-by-step instructions to get your student’s school picture included in the yearbook this year! Deadline: 02.01.21