SHELDON HIGH SCHOOL
IRISH NATION NEWSLETTER
November 20, 2020
The Sheldon High School “Irish Nation Newsletter” goes home every other Friday and is one of the best ways to share our exciting and upcoming events and school information with our Sheldon families and students. Please make sure you bookmark the Sheldon website and the 4J Eugene School District and spend some time familiarizing yourself with both. You will find numerous tools for parents and students, as well as updates about our Career & Counseling Center, Clubs and Athletics. Please consider following us on Facebook and Instagram @SheldonHighSchool4J
BUILDING – As a reminder, Sheldon High School is not open to the public. Staff is in the building between the hours of 7:30 am – 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday, and staff are checking both email and phone lines to respond to questions. You can reach our main office at 541-790-6600.
Please use the FAQ page on the Sheldon website for answers to commonly asked questions found here Sheldon FAQ
To support our general fund please follow this link Sheldon General School Support
SNOWFLAKES OF JOY
We currently have 280 low-income students on the list from our feeder elementary and middle schools, alongside Sheldon, who will be receiving gift cards and a goal of $5600 to fundraise. It is our hope to make the holiday season one that is memorable for all students. If you are in a position to donate, or know of people who would like to help the cause, please visit this website: Snowflakes of Joy School Pay. To get more information please visit our website: Snowflakes of Joy
END OF TERM GRADING INFORMATION
Grading: Students who do not pass a course during Comprehensive Distance Learning in 4J high schools will receive a grade of NP (No Pass). This provides no credit but also does not affect the student’s GPA (rather than a grade of F which does affect GPA). This trimester, although most courses at Sheldon traditionally are graded with letter grades, students can now opt to receive a grade of P (pass) rather than a letter grade of A, B, C, D through the last day of the term. Ideally, that request should be documented in writing by emailing the teacher. It is quite important for students to be in conversation with their counselor to understand how a grade of Pass may impact post-high school planning.
College Now Grading – Students in College Now courses who are registered with a community college to receive college credit should be aware that even if they take the course Pass/No Pass for their high school transcript or receive an NP at Sheldon, SHS must, in most cases, provide a letter grade of A, B, C, D, or F for the student’s college transcript.
Incomplete Deadline – Students with an Incomplete from Trimester 1 last year (Fall 2019-2020) have until the end of this trimester to resolve their Incomplete.
The last class day of Trimester 1 will be Thursday, December 10, and we encourage families to review student progress in Canvas by becoming an Observer in Canvas courses. Helpful information is linked here.
WINTER BREAK MEALS
- Friday, Dec 18 distribution includes a daily meal bag and also a meal box to cover 7 days (breakfast, lunch, and supper meals). This will include a loaf of bread, sandwich fixings (such as meat, cheese, hummus, etc), vegetables, frozen entree for suppers, breakfast bread (such as banana or blueberry bread), and other items. Meal boxes will be delivered on routes and distributed at our 10 serving sites during normal hours (10:45-2pm).
- Monday, Dec 28 at ECCO/ED CENTER ONLY we will provide a meal box for 7 days as well and distribute from 11-5:30pm; there will be no deliveries, only pickup from this one site
- Tuesday, Jan 5 resume meal delivery and distribution at 10 sites
A reminder for FAQs:
- No sign up is necessary
- Meals are for students only (this is not a “family meal box”)
- Vegetarian and Made without Gluten options are available
Trimester One books will be returned on Thursday, December 17th from 1:00-5:00 pm. Please mark this important date on your calendar. Any books that are not needed for after Trimester One should be returned to the school. Each of our books has to be in quarantine for at least 72 hours before they can be reissued to other students. Our textbook distribution day for Trimester Two will be after we return from Winter Break. The dates for textbook distribution will be January 7th and 8th 2021. Stay tuned for more information to come about Trimester Two textbook distribution.
Senior Photos – Information regarding senior photos can be found in the Yearbook section on our school website or here: Senior Packet Information. Senior Photos were due November 25, 2020; however, this particular section has not gone to print, yet, and your student may still be included if you act quickly. If a senior photo is not received, it is possible the Junior Lifetouch photo will be used.
Senior Quotes – We need every senior to fill out the following survey, otherwise we won’t have senior quotes in this year’s book: Senior Quotes
Caps & Gowns – Now is the time to begin the ordering process for the Class of 2021 Graduation. Due to the pandemic, the process to order will be done remotely. Orders need to be placed directly through Miners Graduate Services at https://minersgrad.com/
!!!!! Orders need to be placed by Wednesday, December 9th 2020. !!!!!
Orders placed after this date will be subject to late fees and product restrictions
Purchasing the yearbook – Sheldon families can purchase books now through the school website. Early bird orders can purchase the book for $55.00 until December 31st. Any purchases after December 31st will see an increase to $65.00. The link to purchase our school’s yearbook https://www.schoolpay.com/link/2021-yearbook
Eshare app – Please make sure to download the eshare app HJ eShare APP; our school code: Sheldon. Be sure to send the yearbook team photos of school activities, and follow the yearbook Instagram sheldonyearbook2021. The Yearbook website is Yearbook
LINES FOR LIFE THROUGH IT’S HELPERS HELPING HELPERS – has launched a variety of “wellness room” spaces on Zoom for folks to attend freely and seek support, share resources, and overall sit together in community during the pandemic. Yvette Garcia has two exciting programs that are made with schools in mind – a Wellness Room for educators AND a new Wellness Room for parents! This is a statewide and FREE resource that is meant to support – please do not hesitate to spread the word! Some Wellness Rooms are also available in Spanish.
Parents Wellness Room: Tuesdays at 3 pm. https://zoom.us/j/95044969902
Parent Wellness Room: Thursdays at 3 pm. https://zoom.us/j/95961979853
(Helping Out Our Teens in Schools) is offering mental health support by phone for students, families, and staff of high schools in the 4J School District. The phone line is staffed by trained crisis counselors who normally work at the HOOTS school clinics, or work at CAHOOTS. The phone line for HOOTS is accessible from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM Monday through Friday. The CAHOOTS phone line is accessible 24 hours a day: 541-6825111. Video support is available from 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM on weekdays and is accessed by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and preferred time. HOOTS is able to provide short-term counseling and mental health support, resource referrals and Oregon Health Plan sign up. This is NOT just for crisis cases but also to be used even if you are having a “bad day.”
- HOOTS: (541) 246-2342 9AM-4PM Monday-Friday: for students, families and staff in the 4J School District.
- Worried about someone or yourself? HOOTS will contact the person you are concerned about if you fill out this HOOTS Referral FORM. This form is for anyone who is concerned about the safety or welfare of a Sheldon student. This may be a self-referral, staff, guardian, or peer!
Start reserving your books today – Start reserving your books today for the next curbside pick-up on Thursday, December 17th! See the Library Home Page (under Departments on the Sheldon website) for more information – or email Ms. Kunz at email@example.com
JSTOR – SHS Library now has a subscription to JSTOR! JSTOR is a digital library of academic content in many formats and disciplines. The collections include top peer-reviewed scholarly journals as well as respected literary journals, academic monographs, research reports from trusted institutes, and primary sources. Please remember, our decisions are only as good as the information we base them on–use your library’s databases as reliable sources of high quality information! Find them on the Library’s Research/Databases page on the Sheldon website.
SPECIAL EDUCATION VIRTUAL PARENT NIGHT
Special education resources and return-to-learning updates
Parents and guardians of students receiving special education are invited to a live webinar to learn more about 4J services. Special education staff will discuss topics such as resources for parents, Student Success Act investments for undeserved populations, returning to in-person learning in a hybrid model, assessments at home and service updates.
Special Education Virtual Parent Night
Wednesday, December 9, 5:30–6:30 p.m. Zoom webinar: https://zoom.us/j/97767692853?pwd=TjZTSW5Hd0gvRWVMWE1PZGJFdStWQT09 invite a friend
- Resources for parents
- Student Success Act funding
- What will hybrid in-person learning look like (health and safety)
- Assessments at home
- Student Services Department (SSD) updates For more information or to request language interpretation services, please email Shawna Scroggins at firstname.lastname@example.org
Parents, do you need technology help and missed the 4J live webinar training session? Here is the link to the recording of the High School Parent Technology Training Session: HS Parent Tech Training Video
CANVAS – From Eugene SD 4J – for Parents/Observers
- Step 1: Student must create a Pairing Code before a parent/guardian can create an Observer account
- Step 2: How to create an Observer account for parents/guardians to view student’s Canvas account
- Step 3 (optional): How to add students to an Observer account for parents/guardians
- Tip 1: How to check my student’s grades as an Observer
- Tip 2: How to I monitor my student’s assignments as an Observer.
- Tip 3: How to set my notifications as an Observer.
Sheldon will be using School Messenger to stay connected with families. Please make sure you sign up to receive all necessary notifications and communications. Visit the site here https://go.schoolmessenger.com/#/account/login to sign up or log in (upper right hand corner of website). Review your settings and make any necessary additions or changes in your preferences (upper left hand corner of website, once logged in). In order to get the information sent from Sheldon, you will want to make a positive selection in the “General” tile. You can also visit the 4J Website for more information here Auto-dialer
AMAZON WISH LIST – Sheldon Amazon Wishlist
4J WRAPAROUND INFORMATION
English – Wraparound
Spanish – Wraparound
SHELDON SCHOOL PANTRY
Food boxes will be available for pick up on Thursday, December 17 between 12:00 pm – 6:00 pm.
Food Items Needed
- Spaghetti Noodles/ Pasta Noodles
- Boxes of Cereal- Any type
- Peanut Butter
- Can of Soup
Toiletry Items Needed
- Body Wash Regular size and trial size
- Shampoo Regular size and trial size
- Hand Sanitizer- Trial Size
- Hair Brushes/Combs
- Toothbrushes/Toothpaste/Dental Floss
Clothing Items Needed
- Socks – All styles and types
- Sweatpants – All size
A Sheldon Community Responder is a volunteer that responds to “alerts” sent by the 15th Night Coordinator at Sheldon High School for needs specific to Sheldon High School students that have not been met by internal school resources. These type of alerts would be for items such as clothing, shoes, small household items, food or bedding. A Sheldon High School Community Responder would receive a text message indicating a need. If the Responder can provide the need, they respond to the text message and work with the Sheldon High School Coordinator to secure and deliver the item. Please contact Trista Neuman at email@example.com
AMAZON WISH LIST – Sheldon Amazon Wishlist
4J WRAPAROUND INFORMATION – Wraparound
The new CARES Center provides food, toiletries and home goods to people who experience a disability, families who have a child with a disability, as well as other people in need in Eugene and Springfield. CARES is open on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. Resource specialists are also available to connect people to other resources. To get help or lend help, visit CARES or download the CARES flyer.
Clubs are a wonderful way for students to connect to school and to peers who share like interests. These kinds of opportunities support student social emotional growth provide extensions for learning and are just plain fun. During comprehensive distance learning, our clubs will continue to meet virtually. We encourage your student to explore the many clubs and organizations. Sheldon Clubs 2020 If your student has an interest and we don’t have a club; no problem! Completing this short form is the first step to starting a new club. Club form
Check out Sheldon’s Boosters on Facebook and Instagram to purchase Sheldon apparel. We are making deliveries!
- www.eScrip.com – Sign up and select Sheldon Boosters and register all cards that you will use to shop with. Anytime you will be shopping online, check the Online Mall for merchants that give money back on your purchases to the Boosters, but also give you great discounts. Our Local eScrip supporters are Market of Choice and Dicky’s BBQ giving up to 4% back on purchases.
- www.amazon.com – If you have an Amazon or Amazon Prime account it is super easy to sign up for Amazon Smile and select Sheldon Boosters to support. The mission of the Sheldon Boosters Club is to enhance and enrich the educational and extracurricular opportunities offered to Sheldon High School students by providing assistance to the school’s activities and athletic programs.