SHELDON HIGH SCHOOL
IRISH NATION NEWSLETTER
November 20, 2020
The Sheldon High School “Irish Nation Newsletter” goes home every other Friday and is one of the best ways to share our exciting and upcoming events and school information with our Sheldon families and students. Please make sure you bookmark the Sheldon website and the 4J Eugene School District and spend some time familiarizing yourself with both. You will find numerous tools for parents and students, as well as updates about our Career & Counseling Center, Clubs and Athletics. Please consider following us on Facebook and Instagram @SheldonHighSchool4J
BUILDING – As a reminder, Sheldon High School is not open to the public. Staff is in the building between the hours of 7:30 am – 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday, and staff are checking both email and phone lines to respond to questions. You can reach our main office at 541-790-6600.
Please use the FAQ page on the Sheldon website for answers to commonly asked questions found here Sheldon FAQ
To support our general fund please follow this link Sheldon General School Support
SNOWFLAKES OF JOY – We currently have 280 low-income students on the list from our feeder elementary and middle schools, alongside Sheldon, who will be receiving gift cards and a goal of $5600 to fundraise. It is our hope to make the holiday season one that is memorable for all students. If you are in a position to donate, or know of people who would like to help the cause, please visit this website: Snowflakes of Joy School Pay. To get more information please visit our website: Snowflakes of Joy
Senior Packet – In case you haven’t seen it yet, it can be found in the Yearbook section on our school website: Senior Packet Information. Senior Photos are due November 25, 2020. If a senior photo is not received, it is possible the Junior Lifetouch photo will be used. The “Ads for Grads” personalized message to your senior is due by December 1, 2020. Please see the attached flyer for specifics regarding both of these.
Caps & Gowns – Now is the time to begin the ordering process for the Class of 2021 Graduation. Due to the pandemic, the process to order will be done remotely. Orders need to be placed directly through Miners Graduate Services at https://minersgrad.com/
!!!!! Orders need to be placed by Wednesday, December 9th 2020. !!!!!
Orders placed after this date will be subject to late fees and product restrictions.
Yearbook Survey – We need every senior to fill out the following survey, otherwise we won’t have senior quotes in this year’s book: Senior Quotes
Purchasing the yearbook – Sheldon families can purchase books now through the school website. Early bird orders can purchase the book for $55.00 until December 31st. Any purchases after December 31st will see an increase to $65.00. The link to purchase our school’s yearbook https://www.schoolpay.com/link/2021-yearbook
Shamrock Yearbook: Senior Ad Purchases: “Show Your Love” – Purchase deadline: December 1st, 2020 – Parents can purchase (and design!) senior ads this year though the Herff Jones ordering center: https://www.yearbookordercenter.com/ Sheldon’s school code: 12046 Here is a quick video tutorial: https://www.loom.com/share/c22e628c4ed549db9246d1e5e3b1ace5 Have questions? Email us: email@example.com
Eshare app – Please make sure to download the eshare app HJ eShare APP; our school code: Sheldon. Be sure to send the yearbook team photos of school activities, and follow the yearbook Instagram sheldonyearbook2021. The Yearbook website is Yearbook
Start reserving your books today – Great news! You can get library books for the Holidays! What could be better than the gifts of enlightenment and imagination? Library book checkout with curbside pick-up is now happening on the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of each month from 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm. See the Library Home Page (under Departments on the Sheldon website) for more information – or email Ms. Kunz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
JSTOR – SHS Library now has a subscription to JSTOR! JSTOR is a digital library of academic content in many formats and disciplines. The collections include top peer-reviewed scholarly journals as well as respected literary journals, academic monographs, research reports from trusted institutes, and primary sources. Please remember, our decisions are only as good as the information we base them on–use your library’s databases as reliable sources of high quality information! Find them on the Library’s Research/Databases page on the Sheldon website.
COLLEGE AND CAREER CENTER
Parents, do you need technology help and missed the 4J live webinar training session? Here is the link to the recording of the High School Parent Technology Training Session: HS Parent Tech Training Video
CANVAS – From Eugene SD 4J – for Parents/Observers
- Step 1: Student must create a Pairing Code before a parent/guardian can create an Observer account
- Step 2: How to create an Observer account for parents/guardians to view student’s Canvas account
- Step 3 (optional): How to add students to an Observer account for parents/guardians
- Tip 1: How to check my student’s grades as an Observer
- Tip 2: How to I monitor my student’s assignments as an Observer.
- Tip 3: How to set my notifications as an Observer.
Sheldon will be using School Messenger to stay connected with families. Please make sure you sign up to receive all necessary notifications and communications. Visit the site here https://go.schoolmessenger.com/#/account/login to sign up or log in (upper right hand corner of website). Review your settings and make any necessary additions or changes in your preferences (upper left hand corner of website, once logged in). In order to get the information sent from Sheldon, you will want to make a positive selection in the “General” tile. You can also visit the 4J Website for more information here Auto-dialer
HOLIDAY MEALS FOR STUDENTS
Please make sure you wear a proper face covering when picking up meals or sign up for delivery here: 4J Food Delivery Please email all questions to 4J Nutrition Services at email@example.com
Thanksgiving meals for students:
1. No sign up is necessary; this is a box in lieu of the normal student meals that we would send for ThursSunday
2. Thanksgiving student meal boxes will be delivered to homes already receiving meal boxes during that week (Mon-Wed before Thanksgiving)
3. Sites already open for meal pickup will distribute student meal boxes with the typical Wednesday meal bag (Wed before Thanksgiving)
4. There will be about 4,000 meal boxes, which is to cover the 3,200’ish we normally serve plus a few extra as we think people will be excited about the box
5. When they are out, it is all we have. We are working on having a backup student meal box in case a family needs food for the weekend meals but we have run out of Thanksgiving menu items.
For winter break, we are still working on a plan. We know this so far:
1. A student meal box will be handed out on the Friday before Winter Break, similar to the plan above; it will have 7 days of meals (that is a change from below as it is the maximum for which USDA/ODE will allow)
2. A student meal box will likely be available for ***pick up*** only on Monday, Dec 28 during the break. We are working on this and will determine if a sign up is necessary.
SHELDON SCHOOL PANTRY
Food & Clothing School Pay Donations
- Food Items Needed
- Spaghetti Noodles/ Pasta Noodles
- Boxes of Cereal- Any type
- Peanut Butter
- Can of Soup
Toiletry Items Needed
- Deodorant- Men and Women Regular size and trial size
- Body Wash Regular size and trial size
- Shampoo Regular size and trial size
- Hand Sanitizer- Trial Size
- Hair Brushes/Combs
- Toothbrushes/Toothpaste/Dental Floss
EUGENE DISTRICT 4J FOOD DELIVERY SERVICE
Eugene School District 4J is offering free meals 7 days a week for all 4J students and youth 18 years old and younger. Meals are available to grab-and-go from 10 sites across the district (see locations), from 10:45 a.m.–2 p.m. each school day. Extra meals for the weekend are provided on Fridays.
- How to apply for delivery: Families who aren’t able to pick up school meals and want to request daily home delivery may complete the online request form (link) in English or Spanish. Families who don’t have internet access can call 541-790-7654 and leave a message.
- Who is eligible: The district will deliver free school meals to homes within the Eugene School District for any children age 18 and younger. Delivery is not available outside of the district (see boundary). Families may request meal delivery for children who are not 4J students; however, capacity is limited and priority will be given to students attending 4J schools, students eligible for free or reduced-price meals, households in rural areas, and students not living near a meal distribution site.
- What is provided: Meals will be delivered every school day (see calendar) during the time all 4J students are learning online. Breakfast and lunch will be delivered together. Extra meals for the weekend will be provided on Fridays.
- When it will start: Home delivery service as already begun. Requests for food deliveries are added to delivery routes within 7–10 school days of the request being made.
- How to make changes: To cancel delivery service or update information, contact 4J Nutrition Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a message at 541-790-7654.
(Helping Out Our Teens in Schools) is offering mental health support by phone for students, families, and staff of high schools in the 4J School District. The phone line is staffed by trained crisis counselors who normally work at the HOOTS school clinics, or work at CAHOOTS. The phone line for HOOTS is accessible from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM Monday through Friday. The CAHOOTS phone line is accessible 24 hours a day: 541-6825111. Video support is available from 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM on weekdays and is accessed by emailing email@example.com with your name and preferred time. HOOTS is able to provide short-term counseling and mental health support, resource referrals and Oregon Health Plan sign up. This is NOT just for crisis cases but also to be used even if you are having a “bad day.”
- HOOTS: (541) 246-2342 9AM-4PM Monday-Friday: for students, families and staff in the 4J School District.
- Worried about someone or yourself? HOOTS will contact the person you are concerned about if you fill out this HOOTS Referral FORM. This form is for anyone who is concerned about the safety or welfare of a Sheldon student. This may be a self-referral, staff, guardian, or peer!
A Sheldon Community Responder is a volunteer that responds to “alerts” sent by the 15th Night Coordinator at Sheldon High School for needs specific to Sheldon High School students that have not been met by internal school resources. These type of alerts would be for items such as clothing, shoes, small household items, food or bedding. A Sheldon High School Community Responder would receive a text message indicating a need. If the Responder can provide the need, they respond to the text message and work with the Sheldon High School Coordinator to secure and deliver the item. Please contact Trista Neuman at firstname.lastname@example.org
AMAZON WISH LIST – Sheldon Amazon Wishlist
4J WRAPAROUND INFORMATION – Wraparound
The new CARES Center provides food, toiletries and home goods to people who experience a disability, families who have a child with a disability, as well as other people in need in Eugene and Springfield. CARES is open on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. Resource specialists are also available to connect people to other resources. To get help or lend help, visit CARES or download the CARES flyer.
Clubs are a wonderful way for students to connect to school and to peers who share like interests. These kinds of opportunities support student social emotional growth provide extensions for learning and are just plain fun. During comprehensive distance learning, our clubs will continue to meet virtually. We encourage your student to explore the many clubs and organizations. Sheldon Clubs 2020 If your student has an interest and we don’t have a club; no problem! Completing this short form is the first step to starting a new club. Club form
Check out Sheldon’s Boosters on Facebook and Instagram to purchase Sheldon apparel. We are making deliveries!
- www.eScrip.com – Sign up and select Sheldon Boosters and register all cards that you will use to shop with. Anytime you will be shopping online, check the Online Mall for merchants that give money back on your purchases to the Boosters, but also give you great discounts. Our Local eScrip supporters are Market of Choice and Dicky’s BBQ giving up to 4% back on purchases.
- www.amazon.com – If you have an Amazon or Amazon Prime account it is super easy to sign up for Amazon Smile and select Sheldon Boosters to support. The mission of the Sheldon Boosters Club is to enhance and enrich the educational and extracurricular opportunities offered to Sheldon High School students by providing assistance to the school’s activities and athletic programs.