SHELDON HIGH SCHOOL
IRISH NATION NEWSLETTER
November 6, 2020
SHELDON INFORMATION The Sheldon High School “Irish Nation Newsletter” goes home every other Friday and is one of the best ways to share our exciting and upcoming events and school information with our Sheldon families and students. Please make sure you bookmark the Sheldon website and the 4J Eugene School District and spend some time familiarizing yourself with both. You will find numerous tools for parents and students, as well as updates about our Career & Counseling Center, Clubs and Athletics. Please consider following us on Facebook and Instagram @SheldonHighSchool4J
BUILDING – As a reminder, Sheldon High School is not open to the public. Staff is in the building between the hours of 7:30 am – 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday, and staff are checking both email and phone lines to respond to questions. You can reach our main office at 541-790-6600.
Please use the FAQ page on the Sheldon website for answers to commonly asked questions found here Sheldon FAQ
To support our general fund please follow this link Sheldon General School Support
SNOWFLAKES FOR JOY – As the holidays approach, Sheldon High School will be hosting its annual Snowflakes for Joy event to ensure this season is memorable for all students. Snowflakes for Joy is a program we have been supporting for 20 years that aims to provide students in need with gifts during this time of giving. While we experience an unprecedented era, we aspire to do our part to aid those in difficult financial situations and renew this long-standing tradition.
This year, we will be hosting a gift card drive! We currently have 280 low-income students on the list from our feeder elementary and middle schools, alongside Sheldon, who will be receiving gift cards and a goal of $5600 to fundraise. This is where you come in. We are asking all families to donate any amount, big or small, to help us reach this goal. You can either buy $20 gift cards for Walmart, Target, Best Buy, and/or Fred Meyer to be dropped off at Sheldon or donate any amount to our Snowflakes for Joy School Pay. During such a hard time for so many students, all donations are greatly appreciated. To get more information please visit our website: Snowflakes of Joy
HOOTS – (Helping Out Our Teens in Schools) is offering mental health support by phone for students, families, and staff of high schools in the 4J School District. The phone line is staffed by trained crisis counselors who normally work at the HOOTS school clinics, or work at CAHOOTS. The phone line for HOOTS is accessible from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM Monday through Friday. The CAHOOTS phone line is accessible 24 hours a day: 541-6825111. Video support is available from 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM on weekdays and is accessed by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and preferred time. HOOTS is able to provide short-term counseling and mental health support, resource referrals and Oregon Health Plan sign up. This is NOT just for crisis cases but also to be used even if you are having a “bad day.”
- HOOTS: (541) 246-2342 9AM-4PM Monday-Friday: for students, families and staff in the 4J School District.
- Worried about someone or yourself? HOOTS will contact the person you are concerned about if you fill out this HOOTS Referral FORM. This form is for anyone who is concerned about the safety or welfare of a Sheldon student. This may be a self-referral, staff, guardian, or peer!
EUGENE DISTRICT 4J FOOD DELIVERY SERVICE – Eugene School District 4J is offering free meals 7 days a week for all 4J students and youth 18 years old and younger. Meals are available to grab-and-go from 10 sites across the district (see locations), from 10:45 a.m.–2 p.m. each school day. Extra meals for the weekend are provided on Fridays.
- How to apply for delivery: Families who aren’t able to pick up school meals and want to request daily home delivery may complete the online request form (link) in English or Spanish. Families who don’t have internet access can call 541-790-7654 and leave a message.
- Who is eligible: The district will deliver free school meals to homes within the Eugene School District for any children age 18 and younger. Delivery is not available outside of the district (see boundary). Families may request meal delivery for children who are not 4J students; however, capacity is limited and priority will be given to students attending 4J schools, students eligible for free or reduced-price meals, households in rural areas, and students not living near a meal distribution site.
- What is provided: Meals will be delivered every school day (see calendar) during the time all 4J students are learning online. Breakfast and lunch will be delivered together. Extra meals for the weekend will be provided on Fridays.
- When it will start: Home delivery service as already begun. Requests for food deliveries are added to delivery routes within 7–10 school days of the request being made.
- How to make changes: To cancel delivery service or update information, contact 4J Nutrition Services at email@example.com or leave a message at 541-790-7654.
TECHNOLOGY HELP – Parents, do you need tech help? Join 4J educators for a live webinar to get a better understanding of the technology your student is using for distance learning, learn how you can support your student and navigate the parent view of the learning platform. Spanish and ASL interpretation will be provided. The high school session is Monday November 9th 5:30-6:30 PM via zoom. Parent Technology Training Sessions
CANVAS From Eugene SD 4J – for Parents/Observers
- Step 1: Student must create a Pairing Code before a parent/guardian can create an Observer account
- Step 2: How to create an Observer account for parents/guardians to view student’s Canvas account
- Step 3 (optional): How to add students to an Observer account for parents/guardians
- Tip 1: How to check my student’s grades as an Observer
- Tip 2: How to I monitor my student’s assignments as an Observer.
- Tip 3: How to set my notifications as an Observer.
SCHOOL MESSENGER – Sheldon will be using School Messenger to stay connected with families. Please make sure you sign up to receive all necessary notifications and communications. Visit the site here to sign up or log in (upper right hand corner of website). Review your settings and make any necessary additions or changes in your preferences (upper left hand corner of website, once logged in). In order to get the information sent from Sheldon, you will want to make a positive selection in the “General” tile.
You can also visit the 4J Website for more information here: Auto-dialer
SHELDON SCHOOL PANTRY – Food & Clothing School Pay Donations
Food Items Needed
- Spaghetti Noodles/ Pasta Noodles
- Boxes of Cereal- Any type
- Peanut Butter
- Can of Soup
Toiletry Items Needed
- Deodorant- Men and Women Regular size and trial size
- Body Wash Regular size and trial size
- Shampoo Regular size and trial size
- Hand Sanitizer- Trial Size
- Hair Brushes/Combs
- Toothbrushes/Toothpaste/Dental Floss
School Supplies Needed
- Pencil Pouche
- Graphing Paper
- Socks- All styles and types
- Sweatpants- All Sizes
COMMUNITY RESPONDER – A Sheldon Community Responder is a volunteer that responds to “alerts” sent by the 15th Night Coordinator at Sheldon High School for needs specific to Sheldon High School students that have not been met by internal school resources. These type of alerts would be for items such as clothing, shoes, small household items, food or bedding. A Sheldon High School Community Responder would receive a text message indicating a need. If the Responder can provide the need, they respond to the text message and work with the Sheldon High School Coordinator to secure and deliver the item. Please contact Trista Neuman at firstname.lastname@example.org
AMAZON WISH LIST – Sheldon Amazon Wishlist
4J WRAPAROUND INFORMATION – Wraparound
CARES CENTER – The new CARES Center provides food, toiletries and home goods to people who experience a disability, families who have a child with a disability, as well as other people in need in Eugene and Springfield. CARES is open on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. Resource specialists are also available to connect people to other resources. To get help or lend help, visit CARES or download the CARES flyer.
SENIORS – Yearbook Survey – We need every senior to fill out the following survey, otherwise we won’t have senior quotes in this year’s book: Senior Quotes
Senior Packet – In case you haven’t seen it yet, it can be found in the Yearbook section on our school website: Senior Packet Information
Caps & Gowns – Now is the time to begin the ordering process for the Class of 2021 Graduation. Due to the pandemic, the process to order will be done remotely. Orders need to be placed directly through Miners Graduate Services at https://minersgrad.com/
!!!!! Orders need to be placed by Wednesday, December 9th 2020. !!!!!
Orders placed after this date will be subject to late fees and product restrictions.
SHELDON CLUBS – Clubs are a wonderful way for students to connect to school and to peers who share like interests. These kinds of opportunities support student social emotional growth provide extensions for learning and are just plain fun. During comprehensive distance learning, our clubs will continue to meet virtually. We encourage your student to explore the many clubs and organizations. Sheldon Clubs 2020 If your student has an interest and we don’t have a club; no problem! Completing this short form is the first step to starting a new club. Club form
SHELDON HS BAND & COLOR GUARD – Can & Bottle Drive We will provide pick & pre-labled bottle drop bags. You can return the bags to a bottle drop location or we can return them for you! To receive bags or schedule a pick up, email email@example.com
SHELDON BOOSTERS – Check out Sheldon’s Boosters on Facebook and Instagram to purchase Sheldon apparel. We are making deliveries!
• www.eScrip.com – Sign up and select Sheldon Boosters and register all cards that you will use to shop with. Anytime you will be shopping online, check the Online Mall for merchants that give money back on your purchases to the Boosters, but also give you great discounts. Our Local eScrip supporters are Market of Choice and Dicky’s BBQ giving up to 4% back on purchases.
• www.amazon.com – If you have an Amazon or Amazon Prime account it is super easy to sign up for Amazon Smile and select Sheldon Boosters to support. The mission of the Sheldon Boosters Club is to enhance and enrich the educational and extracurricular opportunities offered to Sheldon High School students by providing assistance to the school’s activities and athletic programs.
YEARBOOK – The start of this year has been very busy for everyone. Yearbook has been doing our best to document the beginning of the year despite these trying times. Our number one goal is to document how students, families and staff have been affected by this challenging year, and how things have remained the same.
Purchasing the yearbook – Sheldon families can purchase books now through the school website. Early bird orders can purchase the book for $55.00 until December 31st. Any purchases after December 31st will see an increase to $65.00. Order here!
Shamrock Yearbook: Senior Ad Purchases: “Show Your Love” – Purchase deadline: December 1st, 2020 – Parents can purchase (and design!) senior ads this year though the Herff Jones ordering center.
Have questions? Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Input (google forms) – The yearbook team is dedicated to making the yearbook accurately represent the diverse community we are at Sheldon! To do so, we need your support. We ask all students to please fill out this form so we know what YOU want to see in the 2020-21 book.
We Want You In the Yearbook! – Have a story to share? Willing to be interviewed by a Shamrock Yearbook staffer? Our goal is to tell your story, but we can’t do that without your help, so please email us your ideas: email@example.com
You can also provide us your consent and contact information by submitting this Google Form.
Eshare app – Please make sure to download the eshare app HJ eShare APP ; our school code: Sheldon. Be sure to send the yearbook team photos of school activities, and follow the yearbook instagram @sheldonyearbook2021. See the Yearbook page on the Sheldon website here,
Spirit Week – We’d love to use your photographs from Spirit Week! The best way to upload those photographs for possible yearbook inclusion is via the HJ eShare App.
2020 Election – First time voter? We’d love to hear from you here!
Surveys – Previous surveys are still open for responses! These are not required, but responses are always appreciated. Here are the links:
- Fire and Smoke–Were you or someone you know affected by the fires?
- Staycation–What did you do for fun this summer?
- Mask Fashion–Showcase the best, the weird the most creative masks you’ve seen
- Autumn Activities and Photos–Favorite things to do in the fall? Submit your favorite photos for a chance to be in the book!!