Parents and Students 04.23.2020

Parents and Students,

I hope that you are doing well in these difficult times. I want to share what we are doing to honor our students here at Sheldon, especially our senior class. This is something that is very important to the entire Sheldon Staff. Whether a student had been here for a short time or 4 (or more) years, we know how important it is to honor our students accomplishments. Therefore, I want to share how we are working to honor our seniors.

Public Displays of Support

#BeTheLight is a movement that seeks to provide a beacon of hope for students during the COVID-19 pandemic, which has closed schools and put athletic seasons on hold. Schools and school districts are lighting their stadiums as a way to show students they are in our hearts and on our minds. Sheldon High School will turn on the turf field lights on Fridays between 8:20-8:40pm until mid June. Link: Be the Light . Please remember that our turf field however is closed and we hope you admire the lights while abiding by social distancing directives.

The district is also working on creating yard/window signs for all of the seniors in the high schools in Eugene. The district has collected graphics for each school, and is working to make a sign for every senior at each school, including for our International High School students that attend Sheldon. We do not yet have all of the information, but we wanted to alert you that this is in the works, and we will be communicating with seniors and their families as soon as we have more information.

Milestone Activities

I have talked/texted/emailed with many parents that are concerned about graduation commencement ceremonies for the Class of 2020. I want to assure all of you that this is something that the district is working on. There is a committee, headed by Sheldon’s own former principal Dr. Bob, that is talking with students, teachers, administrators, and parents about what may be possible. While their work is just getting started on this project, I am confident that they are working hard to find a solution.

Work is also being done on creating a Prom for students throughout the district. Ideas are being processed and vetted with Dr. Bob’s committee and then they will be forwarded onto the district leadership. We look forward to hearing the solutions that are crafted and are hopeful that this can be done for our students here at Sheldon.

I know that this is a difficult time for everyone. I want you to know that we are thinking of all of the students and families everyday here at Sheldon. While the students and teachers may not be walking in the brick and mortar of the school right now, I know that this is where their hearts are. Please trust that we will continue to work to provide only the best for the Sheldon Community!

Respectfully,

Mike Ingman
Principal, Sheldon High School
Eugene School District 4J
(541) 790-6600 / Fax: (541) 790-6605